An Outline of Veneers: Read All About It
Dental veneers are thin tooth-coloured structures that are placed over your teeth to correct dental problems. Veneers are mostly used in cosmetic treatments to enhance their look. Even so, dentists use them to strengthen teeth' protective features that minimize the need for more treatment.
There are two types of materials utilized in the manufacture of veneers. They include:
- Composite resin
Lumineers teeth are another type of veneer. This type's texture is smooth. It is available in some dental clinics. Some of their characteristics are:
- More economical compared to other veneers
- They are reversible.
- Time-efficient since manufacturing time is not needed
- Short longevity
- Thin and clear
However, porcelain veneers look brilliant and cover-up stains and flaws better.
When Do I Need Veneers?
Veneers offer a solution to most cosmetic issues. You can visit a dentist near you
to get veneers for the following:
- Repair of teeth enamel that has become worn over time
- Widely spaced teeth that have extended as you age
- Fixing pointed, misaligned and uneven teeth that deter chewing
- Lightening discoloured teeth that may require further treatment apart from whitening.
- Replacing a part of a chipped or broken tooth
- Increasing the size of tiny than average teeth
Do They Have Any Advantages?
Yes, they do. Including:
- A lifespan of up to ten years.
- natural tooth appearance
- Resistance to Stains
- Absence of the necessity to shape the teeth
- The primary porcelain doesn't irritate the gums
- Their ability to be altered to get a whiter finish
What Should I Expect?
This procedure usually takes three visits in six weeks. The dentist at South West Calgary
will schedule a consultation to discuss your dental needs and correct treatment. Veneers cannot restore decayed or weakened teeth. It is critical to get an oral health examination during the first visit.
The dentist will first look at less invasive treatments that don't require taking away part of the teeth. If veneers are the appropriate choice, they will consider your preferred choice of shape and colour for individualized treatment.
The preparation procedure is characterized by a conversation on how many veneers will be applied and initial processes like:
- X- rays to look for signs of tooth decay or gum disease
- Placement of braces for crooked teeth
The dentist will extract some of the shiny outer enamel, shape your tooth for the actual treatment, and get your exact veneer size. They remove the enamel using a grinding tool. This ensures that the bonding material will adhere. Then, an impression of your teeth will be taken to the lab to form your veneers. The manufacturing process takes two weeks.
The following step involves having the veneers attached. Your dentist will analyze their features to make sure they fit your specifications and are well-suited for your teeth. Your teeth will be washed to get rid of any particles that might be shut under the veneer and cause decay. The teeth exterior will be made coarse, and a bonding agent applied to cement the structure to the tooth permanently.
The adhesion will be reinforced by ultraviolet light. You may receive an anesthetic to reduce discomfort, but it is not necessary. For the perfect fit to ease functionality, use the veneers temporarily before they are completely sealed. Your dentist will make any adjustments you pin-point.
What Is The Required Aftercare?
Recovery time for veneers isn't long; hence, they don't need special treatment. Follow proper dental hygiene to maintain their longevity by:
- Brushing and flossing your teeth
- Rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash
- Avoiding stain-causing beverages and foods
- Attending routine check-ups
You may also:
- Wear a retainer if you clench and grind teeth
- Avoid chewing with your front teeth or chewing on hard objects like ice
- Use mouthguards while playing sports
What Are The Risks?
Disadvantages to veneers include:
- Cannot be undone
- Cracks cannot be repaired
- Sensitivity to cold or hot food because the enamel is removed
- inability to get whitened once installed
- Liable to teeth decay
If you need consultation on veneers near you in SW Calgary
, consider Image Dental. We are a dedicated team devoted to meeting your dental needs. Our well-trained dentists will utilize their expertise to serve you.